Tuesday 29 May 2012

My Project Design


Designs influenced by Objectives
Design & Review of objectives
Initial objectives:
Objective 1:
Must be able to detect movements higher up.
Design:
The reason I thought this objective should be included in the project was because the robot is very small a person would be considerably taller so I thought I would need to put angle the sensor so it would detect taller objects.
Objective 2:

The robot will use an ultrasonic sensor to detect an intruder. The robot must be small enough so that 
it can remain hidden from a potential intruder.
Design:
During the design stage of the project I was thinking on how I would make the robot detect intruders so I thought that I should implement an ultrasonic sensor to enable the robot to detect movement. I also stated in the design that the robot should be as small as possible.
Objective 3:
The robot would remain silent and relay the detection then after duration of time restart the program.
Design:

In the design I stated that the detecting robot should remain silent so that the intruder is unaware they had triggered an alarm. The alarm should also be able to automatically restart after detection without the need for user input.

Objective 4:

The robot wouldn’t sound an alarm because it has to be a silent security device to relay the detection accurately to another device.

Design:
During the design stage I also thought that the project should use a wireless connection to send a message to the other device. The reason I set is as an objective was to ensure that the robot uses a wireless medium to send a receive messages as this makes the robot more stealthy.
Objective 5:
The alert must be sent to the device securely and a reasonable time after the detection is made.
Design:
A concern which I thought about in my design was the actual time taken to receive the detection from the other NXT brick if the time is too long then it’s very important that it’s made better so this was the reason I set it as an objective





Objective 1:
The way in which the design of my robot has been influenced by objectives was that in my designs I made the sensor angle upwards so that It would detect higher objects. I included this design in my storyboard.


Objective 2:
The way my designs have been influenced by objective 2 was to make my robot as small as possible so that it can remain undetectable to intruders. I will try to include the fewest amount of Lego components as possible without hindering performance.



Objective 3:
This objective influenced the programming and not the physical design. I will have to implement a forever loop on the NXT program for the robot and a wait block so that it will forever detect intruders after a 10 seconds cool down period between each detection.



Objective 4:

This objective influenced me to think that I will need to have another NXT brick in order to relay the detection secretly. I needed to think about the programming for the receiving brick as well as how to connect the Bluetooth together. This influenced the design of my pseudo code.


Objective 5:

During the planning of the project I believed that this is a serious factor in the project and I must be able to make the whole “Send Intrusion Message” function work correctly and work quickly. This influenced me to look at the various ways In which I’m able to send messages using the NXT bricks so Blue tooth became heavily involved in the design of the robot as well as in the programming. The use of Blue-tooth would need to be explained in my user guide as well as the Technical document. Blue-tooth also influenced me to look for additional ideas for future development of the project. The use of Blue-tooth also improved the design of the project because in the early stages of planning the project I was thinking of using a wired technique of relaying detection messages but the blue-tooth enables the robot to stay as small as possible and without needing the change the physical design of the robot.


No comments:

Post a Comment