Monday 27 October 2014

2D into 3D image Processing

Here is a sketch I did after conducting some research into the 3D effects you can apply in Processing. I used a still image from the movie "The Matrix Reloaded" an applied a 3D effect to the image which caused a part of the image to start  protruding when the user scrolls from one side of the screen to the other. This can give 2D images a three dimensional look and this can easily be adapted to track the movements of the audience by using a camera. Much like the pixel clock I created previously I can add an "if" statement to the mouseY position which would cause some other effect to happen when the user scrolls up and down.

The implementation of multiple effects enables the user to create more interesting dynamic visualisations. The ways in which I could adapt this project would be to use an image as the background instead of the solid green so that an image is hidden and it's the role of the user to interact with the sketch to reveal the hidden image. Another interesting effect I could apply would be to have two images which have the 2D into 3D effect applied to them but I would invert the protruding on one of images which would cause both images collide. This would result in the images looking somewhat like they are blending.

  During a lecture we explored various media concepts which we could apply to our projects and one which caught my attention was the idea of distorted data which can be revealed through user interaction. This concept would work well with this 2D too 3D sketch as data could take the form of an image but by using the 3D algorithm I would be able to distort the data by separating it's pixels or by applying filters. Using libraries such as "Face tracking" would enable me to apply interactions for the audience which would reveal the data either in one process or in a series of stages like a puzzle.


No comments:

Post a Comment